Coleman Connected Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Coleman, Texas > Electrical > Definitions, Terms, Providers and Legal Documents/Contracts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Denial of 10-15 FOI Request

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Denial of 10-15 FOI Request
    Posted: Oct 26 2014 at 12:12pm
On October 15, I filed a FOI request with the city.

Click on the link below and you'll see what I received from the city, denying access to the information requested and asking the attorney-general's office for a ruling to support their denial.
uploads/5/Response_FOI_10-15-2014.pdf

Edited by Nancy - Oct 26 2014 at 4:33pm
sjs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2014 at 6:48pm
nancy - can just ANYONE complete an FOI? AS IN "John Q. Public"? If the citizens of Coleman bombarded the city for information along the same lines as your request, would we ALL get the same response, whereby the City Attorney would have to submit it to the AG, with copies to AEPEP, and the whole nine yards? Write to each individual and include copies to everyone else?

It would appear to me that after so many requests, the AG might realize it's simply plain, everyday, FOLKS that want the information and MIGHT would appear obvious that our city attorney does NOT represent OUR CITY, but rather has more of AEPEP's interests at "heart"!

I'm no legal expert and must admit that I don't want to try to interpret the case law involved that she mentions! possibly we could be better served if we wrote directly to the AG and complained about HER service to the city of Coleman. I'm just letting my brain run wild here, but it seems we NEED to get the attention of SOMEONE on the State level (and I realize Mr. Abbott is terribly BUSY campaigning right now!! lol!
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2014 at 7:38pm
Yes, sjs, anyone who is a citizen of the city can submit a Freedom of Information request by going to http://www.cityofcolemantx.us/index.html. 
The form on which the question must be submitted is accessed by clicking on "Request for Information" in the box on the left side of the page, right under "Frequently Asked Questions". 

And yes: if your request is denied, the city is obliged to ask the A/G to uphold their denial; and they must notify you.  If your request involves AEPEP they will likely, though they're not obliged to, also notify AEPEP with ... as you put it ... "the whole nine yards". 

What you're proposing is an interesting concept.  I should warn you that I've been accused in open forum of costing the city a great deal of money by submitting ongoing FOIs, so be prepared. 

My stance has always been that city management/administration has itself created the expense by denying information to which its citizens have every right.  After all, the A/G awarded me a copy of the original contract, the world didn't come to an end and AEPEP didn't sue the city. 
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2014 at 3:39pm
It's been pointed out that I forgot to include a copy of AEPEP's letter to the attorney-general supporting the city's refusal of my FOI request.  Upload it at:  uploads/5/Response_II_FOI_10-15-2014_AEPEP.pdf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic