Coleman Connected Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Coleman, Texas > Electrical > Definitions, Terms, Providers and Legal Documents/Contracts
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How has having a high electric bill affected you?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How has having a high electric bill affected you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relocated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2014 at 7:21am
So there will be a franchise fee on your new electric provider bill?
relocated View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relocated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2014 at 8:09am
Oh.....so the city keeps r o w fees and looses attachment fees
Plainolejr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plainolejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2014 at 1:23pm
A new provider will be charged franchise fees and those fees will be passed on to their customers.  The City of Coleman charges each of its Utilities a franchise fee and they passed on to us indirectly.

A new provider (if they purchase the infrastructure) can charge whatever they choose for connection to their system.  The city will still get a fee for the privilege of them doing business.  Call it what you want, Franchise fees, Right of Way fees or whatever,  it's their ball. 
Saywhat
relocated View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relocated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2014 at 2:44pm
The city would have to sell the infrastructure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plainolejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2014 at 6:30pm
It would be likely that the Utility purchase would include everything.  Infrastructure (poles,lines, transformers, any generation equipment and etc). It may or may not include buildings, trucks, tractors or other such property, depends on the contract. 

Saywhat
relocated View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relocated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2014 at 7:05pm
True, it depends on the contract. The city now gets r o w fees, plus attachment fees to the poles. Basically the city would loose attachment fees. They better get a better city attorney than the one they have now though. I don't think the city is ever going to recover from the last contract they signed......
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2014 at 9:33am
I'm confused here.  Since the city would retain right-of-ways, would they not be entitled to fees from both the entity that buys/operates the poles and whatever is attached to them. 

Perhaps the company that will be doing the electricity audit and the franchise fee audit will be able to guide the city on this problem. 
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2014 at 9:41am
Of course, it goes without saying that any franchise fees imposed by the city, no matter on whom they're imposed, will be passed on to the consumer ... you/me/us'n. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plainolejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2014 at 5:51pm
You are exactly correct, Nancy.   The city would collect franchise fees from whom ever is attached to those poles just as if they planted their own poles.  The attachment fee charged by the pole owner is a convenience to the attacher.
Saywhat
Barry Mirtsching View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Mirtsching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2015 at 3:18pm
I don't know what's going on with Coleman Coop Electric bills...I live in Dallas, have a place in Coleman County for coming out periodically as a getaway.  When I'm not there, I leave the thermostat on 58 in the winter, 85 in the Summer.  Have only a refridgerator and a small battery trickle charger on my tractor.  
Wow, since end of 10/2014, my bill has skyrocketed.  No clear reason.  Have owned the property for 10 years, and never had a bill much over $50.  Much higher since 10/2014.   1/2015: $220.    Called the Coop.  No explanation.  

I didn't have this high a bill at my Dallas house which is 3x larger and where I am using energy every day....
Bella Stella View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bella Stella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 12:00pm
My husband and I have retirement and part-time jobs, and have made adjustment at our rental home to compensate for the outrageous electricity rates.  It wasn't too much of a shock to us being originally from California and use to the outrageous rates.  What is disturbing though is meeting an elderly gentleman who is probably on a fixed income (which I assume many of the elderly are on fixed incomes in Coleman).  The gentleman informed me he is cooking with gas and water mixed together in a can by igniting it and producing a steam to cook with.  If this is indeed a fact I am assuming he has no electricity
faced with the choice of  paying for food or electricity.  What a sad state for our elderly to be faced with; I just hope the heat is not too intense this summer for those who have to choose food over electricity.
R Mercer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote R Mercer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 10:23am
WOW mixing gas and water and lighting it is extremely dangerous ..and the fumes given off gas is extremely toxic ..I can imagine what something would taste like after being steamed that way ...I know that diesel and water makes really bad coffee..i have no dog in this fight except that if it was lowered maybe we wouldn't have lost some of our business ...if they finally  have a vote and the electric bills go down the property taxes are going to have to go up ..or cut down on services ...my electricity is furnished by wtu and I buy my electricity from txu because wtu wouldn't cut my kwh cost ...I still don't understand why the city council and the mayor fight having a vote ...it really hasn't ever made since to me   
can anyone explain why they are spending so much money fighting a vote ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic