Coleman Connected Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Coleman, Texas > Miscellaneous
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How has having a high electric bill affected you?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How has having a high electric bill affected you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How has having a high electric bill affected you?
    Posted: Oct 03 2014 at 5:54pm
Please tell us what it has meant to you, your family or your business to have a high electric bill.

If it were possible to reduce your electric bill, perhaps by as much as 50%, where would you spend the extra money?

This is your chance to talk directly to your city leaders about this important issue. They are reviewing these post regularly, so what you say will certainly have an impact!

Remember, we will be discussing this topic Oct, 16th (Thursday) at the city council meeting. Please come by and support this cause if you are able, but if not, please let us know what you think by clicking "Reply" on the bottom left. You will need to sign in, but you can do so anonymously.

Edited by Craig - Oct 04 2014 at 9:24pm
Craig Allen
Allie512Tx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allie512Tx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2014 at 4:31pm
We're from Austin, so the electric rates here are not any different from what we were paying in Austin. However, we have been making energy efficient modifications to our home for the past two years - installing new windows, insulation, etc - and have noticed a difference already. If the electric rate were to be lowered, we would be spending the extra money on making our home more energy efficient. Star
-Allison Lytle-
Allie512Tx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allie512Tx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2014 at 4:41pm
Well, it seems there is no edit or delete button, so I must post a correction to my previous comment.

*CORRECTION*

Its not the electric rates that were the same, but rather our electric bill in general seems very similar to what we were paying in Austin. I'm sure the energy efficiency upgrades offset the cost. On a side note, I do know that many of the local businesses are having a very difficult time with the energy costs in Coleman. I would think that the energy costs in Coleman would be an interference to bringing in new business. 
-Allison Lytle-
sjs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2014 at 6:49am
I'm one of the MANY folks in Coleman who live solely on Social Security. I am "from" Coleman, but had moved away about 5 or 6 yrs ago and moved back less than a year ago. I find that my SS income is not adequate here in Coleman, even tho' I was paying rent in other places and bought and paid for the house I am now living in. I buy most of my groceries and gasoline and prescriptions and all other necessities in Brownwood, as I can't AFFORD the buy them here, yet my bank balance almost zero's out every month due to the cost of the city utilities. I can't afford to eat out, take a trip, or do ANYTHING along the lines of "entertainment". My home needs some repairs - the oven does not work at all, I have no water faucet in the back yard, the paint on the trim is peeling so badly that I was refused INSURANCE on the home until I had the trim painted, etc, etc. My most recent light bill was more than the rent I paid where I lived previously - my savings is gone from buying the house... and now I CAN'T AFFORD TO MOVE AGAIN!! lol!
Craig View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2014 at 8:42am
SJS, Thank you for your comments. It's situations like yours that fully demonstrates the crippling affect this high electric rate has on the city. This is why we are fighting this invasive tax.

KTAB  news was here in Coleman this week interviewing residents and city leaders on the subject of high electric rates.

You can view the video on Big Country Home Page link below.

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/story/d/story/high-electric-bills-a-burden-for-coleman-residents/62796/wEd8wxJs_UWd-4r8Ej0hMg

Edited by Craig - Oct 09 2014 at 11:09am
Craig Allen
edd View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2014 at 12:11pm
I live in a small travel trailer never home working all the time the only time I'm home is at night the only thing that runs is my ice box but yet my bill is 250 it went from 80 to this over night just because the city chooses are company for us thanks for helping the people on ssi are the veterans who make so much an the signal parents who can't feed there family!! Remember this when see that city owned Cadillac suv running around wile your walking cause you can't buy gas for you're car if your lucky to have one!! I
citizen 1 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizen 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2014 at 6:08pm
I don't want to hear about kids not being clothed or fed because of higher utility rates when their parents or other guardians are going down to Elkins buying cigarettes and beer.
Nora View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 11:01am
When we had our own electrical plant (light plant) our electric was much cheaper because we had the option of running the generators.  So our contract with WTU was negotiated with much lower costs.  I was against closing the light plant and spoke to a number of people about it.  They would say, no the city won't close it, we voted before to keep it going.  I think it wasn't common knowledge that the city council was considering this move.  That being said...it came to pass and very quickly we were presented with another contract with higher prices.  About 3 yrs ago, I began year round averaging and was assured my bill would be somewhere around 225-235.  This was great for those summer months, because I run window units.  That lasted for a few months, then started creeping up every month.  I received my city bill a few days ago.....now my year round averaging is 475.  I draw disability from the VA and Soc Sec, but I'm now paying $3000/yr more for my bill. I can tell you right now that my VA and Soc Sec combined didn't get that much in cost of living.  Between the two, my raise was $56/mo.   $475/mo is a lot of money for a fixed income especially when helping a parent who draws around $950/mo Soc Sec.  I continue to try and purchase from the Coleman merchants, but it gets harder and harder.  I have a standing weekly VA apt in Bwd and it is very tempting to just buy everything there at the cheaper rates.

I don't know that allowing us a choice of carrier would solve the problem.  I'm inclined to believe that selling out to Coleman County would be a much deal.
disappointed View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disappointed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2014 at 7:22pm
I had a building in city limits, with city electricity service. Expenses were obscene for what little light use I had. I would like to establish a vehicle repair business but between the incessant thievery that is not going to stop, and the cost of power for any in the city property, it is not practical to start up any business that uses electricity in quantity.  It is all kept out of the media, but the number of failed businesses in town is obvious. The crime rate is incredible. Most businessmen in town and even the electric department have been hit by scrap metal thieves. Why would anyone want to stay here and start up a business in these conditions????
CONCERNED CITIZEN View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CONCERNED CITIZEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2014 at 4:33pm
BOTH MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE FULL TIME JOBS. DECENT PAY. THESE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS HAVE BEEN HARD. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM PAYING MY BILL. I HAVE AN ISSUE PAYING AN ELECTRIC BILL THAT IS HIGHER THAN MY HOUSE PAYMENT, TRUCK AND CAR PAYMENT! WHAT WOULD I DO WITH A LOWER BILL AND HOW WOULD I SPEND THE EXTRA INCOME? I WOULD PAY MY OTHER BILLS ON TIME THAT I GOT BEHIND ON BECAUSE OF THIS MESS. I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DECIDE WETHER OR NOT I PAY MY ELECTRIC BILL AND PAY A LATE CHARGE ON OTHERS BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH $ LEFT OVER TO FUND THOSE, OR DECIDE TO CUT DOWN ON GROCERIES OR PAY A VEHICLE PAYMENT LATE BECAUSE I HAVE TO KEEP ELECTRICITY IN MY HOME. OR HOW ONE OF US CAN WORK OVERTIME SO THAT WE CAN MAKE IT TIL NEXT PAYDAY? WE ARE CONSERVATIVE WITH OUR ELECTRICITY, WE DO WATCH WHAT WE DO, BUT A 1200 SQ FT HOME SHOULD NOT HAVE A 400,500,600+ ELECTRIC BILL--NO WAY. I WONDER HOW SINGLE INCOME HOMES OR OUR SENIOR CITIZENS MAKE IT. THIS IS GETTING TO BE TOO MUCH!
ml View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2014 at 1:05pm
Like others who have already posted on this forum I lived here and raised my children here but life took me to the city for a number of years. I chose to come back here for my so called "golden years " thinking it would be so good to renew former friendships and relax and enjoy life. That will never be possible under present conditions. Even with social security I still work and live from payday to payday. I couldn't afford a real vacation if my life depended on it. When I left, our town was full of places to shop and meet people.....very disappointed in the condition of things here. I so appreciate those of you who have the education and determination to fight back for the citizens of Coleman and will do my best to support you however I can.
Craig View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 10:01am
Everyone is invited to a micro-meeting with the Mayor, this Thursday October 23rd at 2:00pm at the Heritage Hall Museum (Live Oak).

The Mayor and others will be there to hear your concerns and answer questions that you have concerning this very important issue.

Craig Allen
Craig View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 10:12am
Here is a video clip of the presentation made to City Council on October 16, 2014.

Due to length of the meeting, a battery change was required, which prevented a portion of the meeting from being recorded. The missing section included a considerable amount of citizen feedback and questions that were very informative and passionate.

All in all, I believe this was a very productive first session, and we hope to move forward again this next regular session, November 20th.

Thank you all for your continued support and comments. 

Craig Allen
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 10:37am

Please note: I will be moving posts from one topic to another in an effort to properly categorize the subject mater. If you are unable to find a post, please do a search at the top using the keywords you are interested in. No posts will be deleted during this process.

Plainolejr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plainolejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 9:03pm
Things to ponder in this electrical debacle:
Why would the city enter into a 10 year contract, did they not have a consultant to advise them of such fool hardiness?
Who was the city manager and council making that foolish decision?
In 2010-2011 did the city not have a consult to advise them against selling the no congestion fee clause that was in the contract?
Who was the City manager and council making that stupid decision?

Wait, we are not supposed ask questions!  It has always been done that way is the answer you will receive anyway.

Answers: The CM was the same man, councils were different.
Yes, the city had a consultant for 2007 AEP contract (who was he working for?????)
Yes, the city had a consultant for congestion fee issue also. STRANGELY it was the same  individual (whom no longer worked for the City's Engineering firm) but the then CM   recommended we use him anyway. WHY?? 
All these things were done behind closed doors, who were our leaders and consultant working for? Certainly not us, but guess what, YOU ELECTED THEM! You voted them in or didn't vote at all.

FYI  The puppet strings that control your leaders are pulled by people that don't have to share our pain, they don't have the same electric rates we have, they live outside the city.  Some have business' and rental property in town but they just pass that cost on to us.

It would be great to have lower rates but why do anything about it or get involved, it's easier just to sit back and whine. Our leaders are doing a great job, it's amazing how much they get done for us in 5-6 hours a month. 

One last point, isn't it also interesting when a citizen questions violations of the City Charter, TML or the Texas Government Code those sections don't apply but when the CM makes a rear end of himself, he and his attorney use the same documents excuse themselves.  Maybe it's time to get rid of the CM & his attorney!  Just saying.
Saywhat
larissa77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larissa77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2014 at 3:08pm
 I am a new resident to Coleman. I moved here over a year ago and noticed the electric rates are higher. I didn't know why but yesterday I read your article in the newspaper online. I also have family members that live here in Coleman. We didn't know about the meeting 2 weeks ago or else we would have been there. What happened at the meeting? my sister and Iwould love to help in any way possible with this issue if there is anything we can do to get the word out or anything let me. What can we do to fix this we cant afford it. I am from Midland and we all knew in 2010 that things were about to explode thier. I have a hard time beliving that AEP didnt know this either. That seems like fraud. I feel like AEP tricked coleman into those congestion charges.

Craig View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2014 at 4:43pm
Welcome to Coleman. It truly is a great place to be, it just has a few issues that are holding it back. One of those is the electric cost, which you have experienced in full force by now and it is just going to get worse if we do not address this issue quickly.

As far as what happened at the meeting, Nancy did a great job on summarizing.

http://colemanconnected.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=161&KW=october&PID=257&title=council-meeting-october-16-2014#257

What can you do now?

1st, please spread the word about this issue with the people you know and ask them to visit and post on Coleman Connected. Information sharing is Key. We will giving some direction next week on some up coming events.

2nd, Please consider contacting your council members and let them know directly how you feel about this high electric bill.

http://colemanconnected.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5&KW=contact&PID=42&title=contacting-the-city-council#42

3rd, Please plan to show up (with as many people as you know who are also concerned about these high rates) November 20th, 6:00 pm at the city hall. This will be a very important meeting. The council members will be considering the the electrical rate cut we have proposed, which is to put us back to .14/kWh, instead of the .16/kWh and higher. If there are few people present, then they may not feel that this is an issue that needs to be addressed!

Craig Allen
Sara LeMoine Knox View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara LeMoine Knox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2014 at 10:49pm
COLEMAN PEOPLE: I want each of you to know that the utility issue our city is struggling with, seriously, keeps me up at night. I've spent countless hours researching and learning about this super complex issue. I've reached out to numerous friends and people all over Texas in positions of power who could offer solutions or relief to our problem. And, yes, it is my problem. I have an office in town where I pay utility bills.

More importantly, what keeps me up at night isn't the research or the legal aspect. What bothers me is the unfairness, the social injustice, and the trickle down effect this contract has placed upon our city's residents. I've been accused by people, some very close to me, that I couldn't empathize or even begin to understand the situation, because I am part of the "haves" and not part of the "have nots" in this community. At first, this really irritated me, because I've never thought of myself that way or ever held out to be anything close to the elitists I distain in this world. However, once I reflected and thought about that word, "haves," I realized, they were, in so many ways, so very right. While this really is not the issue it must be addressed by me: I am from a family of "haves", and I was truly blessed to be born into a lucky sperm bank. I mean really, I have no room to complain, because I'm a lawyer and make the big bucks (I don't); I can afford to pay it (don't want to); I still have the ranch to fall back on (I don't). All of that aside, what I realized was the real truth of the matter: I absolutely can NOT begin to understand the hardships that others in this community have to deal with each and every day. Not only do working families have to choose between paying their utility bill and feeding their families, but they are forced to pay more money for groceries and gas because stores must charge more to offset their overhead costs. I mean a roll of duct tape cost what in Coleman? 7 or 9 dollars? That's nuts! I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but it is worth saying that I do recognize your problem. I know that PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO HEAR MY STORY...they NEED TO HEAR YOURS.

One more story to fuel the fire. After last month's city council meeting, I sat outside with some of the city council members and other "haves" in the community. Some of the remarks just seriously made me want to gag. People said things like:

"Well, I don't even understand why this is an issue." "Why do we have to get the media involved? Coleman doesn't need the bad publicity." "It's not that bad!!!"

I was floored! Just absolutely floored. I said some choice words and walked away disgusted.

So, here is my challenge to you: listed below is a list of the city council members and how to contact them at City Hall. Take 10 minutes and write a letter telling YOUR story and how the high utility bills have affected YOU and YOUR FAMILY. Tell them why you were forced to move or why your house is up for sale. Tell them how your credit has been ruined due to these high costs. Tell them how you choose between feeding your family and paying your bills. Tell them how your children go to bed hungry at night. Tell them that your family member is a city employee and selling the T&D poles could cause them to lose their job. Tell them to find alternate solutions than renegotiating a contract with AEP. These people who make decisions for us are your neighbors, and they are still so disconnected from YOU that they are NOT representing your best interest.

If you don't want to write a letter, then stop them and tell them your story. Come to this month's city council meeting at City Hall on THURSDAY NOVEMBER 20, 2014 at 6pm.

I've always believed that local government is like big government except under a microscope. You CAN make a difference. You just have TELL YOUR STORY. You elected them. Let them know THEY were elected to represent YOU. I promise I will keep trying every angle I can to help provide relief for THE community I hold so dearly to my heart. However, I can't do it without YOUR help. I can only do so much and your story speaks way louder than mine.

Write it, Mail it or Drop it off, Just do it because You may contact any council member through City Hall at:

City Hall - City Council Members
ATTENTION: [insert your ward’s City Council member’s Name]
200 W. Liveoak Street 
P.O. Box 592
Coleman, Tx 76834

325-625-4116 or 325-625-5114
North Ward Councilman - Terry Hyden
West Ward Councilman - Johnny Needham
South Ward Councilman - Danny Jameson
East Ward Councilman (Mayor Pro Tem) - Gary Payne 
Mayor - Kay Joffrion
City Manager - Paul Catoe

Remember, City Hall Thursday, November 20th at 6pm.

Craig View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2014 at 3:55pm
Letter to City Council members dated 11/20/14

Dear Council member,

I am writing to ask that you vote NO to go into the executive session during its current position on the agenda.  As you know you have the full power to move this item down on the agenda.

Many that may be present are very likely there to hear the continuation of the electrical discussion. These people are likely to find it to be a direct insult to them and transparency in general if the ES session is held as it is proposed.

As you know, Mayor Kay has asked Mr. Catoe, to move this ES session after "Old Business". Mr. Catoe has refused this request. Please note that the Mayor was elected on a platform of transparency as well as having options to combat our high electric rates. She was elected by one of the largest majorities in recent history. I hope you will stand by her in her request to serve Coleman as she has been elected to do. Mr. Catoe has also agreed to work with the Mayor, this action seriously brings this agreement into question.

Coleman desperately needs transparency and citizen involvement. This is the kind of situation that causes great mistrust by all who become aware of such a use of ES.  Our citizens must come before the conveniences of a hired consultant.

We all know there are times where ES is required, including the discussion concerning Heart of Texas; however, the current placement of the ES being proposed and the subject mater of the ES which includes divestiture of the T&D system should certainly not occur until you are able to receive the additional information on this subject from both myself and the citizens of Coleman.  Putting it in the reverse order simply is not conducive to proper management, and in-fact it is likely to look like the city is trying to squelch the citizens voice . I'm sure you agree what the perception will be.

I know when you ran for office, your goal was to bring prosperity to Coleman and to bring great ideas forward where they could be acted on. This is only possible if all of Coleman works together, so I ask you, please don't allow the citizens of Coleman from being a part of these important decisions and participating in the dreams for Coleman you have going forward.

Craig Allen
Craig Allen
relocated View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relocated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2014 at 10:52am
It affected me enough to MOVE!!!!
relocated View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relocated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2014 at 12:21pm
Mr. Allen doesn't make sense on the franchise fee.
Craig View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2014 at 1:22pm
Please let me know what part is not making sense and I will attempt to clarify.

Craig Allen
relocated View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relocated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2014 at 6:13am
How will the city collect a franchise fee if they no longer own the poles ? If the electrical system is sold the rfp also includes the poles that hold the wires up. The franchise fee will go to the company that buys the system.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plainolejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2014 at 6:54am
The City owns the Right of way that those poles and pipes are in.  That is what the Franchise fees are.  If you look at your other utility bills (Verizon, Atmos etc.) you will see municiple fees, those are so called franchise fees.  
Saywhat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plainolejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2014 at 7:11am
Forgot to finish:
Those municiple fees are payed to the city.  The city will be selling poles not R.O.W.  

Atmos pays the city for it's pipes in the ground.
Verizon pays for wires on poles and in the ground
The city's Electric Utility pays for it's poles and wires
The city's Water Utility pays for it's pipes in the ground
The city Sewer Utility pays for it's pipes
The Trash collectors pay also
Not sure if Rural Rides pays anything but in other cities Public Transportation and Taxi's pay a fee too.
Saywhat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic